What We Do

Supported Lodgings

Accommodation in the home of a supportive adult for 16 to 21 year olds.


Accommodation in the home of a supportive adult for 16 to 21 year olds. 

Home What We Do >  Supported Lodgings

Supported Lodgings

If you are between 16 and 21 and need a secure place to stay, we offer a Supported Lodgings scheme which gives young people a safe environment to develop independence.

For the majority of people under 18 it is not possible to have your own tenancy or be granted enough financial support to be able to afford your own property.  Many young people are forced in to leaving home before they have the necessary skills to support themselves. 

Supported lodgings gives you the chance to live in a stable environment while you concentrate on college or finding work/training. The support lasts for 2 years and if you turn 18 whilst you are there, you can then be considered for another Doorstep property such as a shared house of flat. 

Our lodgings providers can be single people or couples who have space in their home to support someone in need. You have your own room and share the communal areas of the house. You are expected to work with your Lodgings host and a Support Worker who are there to help you achieve. If you are in receipt of benefits you will pay a rent top-up each week or the full amount if you are working. 

How do I apply?

You can self-refer by visiting our drop-in or ask another professional you know to make a referral.

If you are under 18 and want to be considered for Supported Lodgings, we need to know there is a genuine reason that you cannot stay at home. This is important in order for you to claim the Housing Element of Universal Credit which pays for your rent. The Department of Work and Pensions need to be satisfied that you are ‘estranged’ from your family and that they no longer support you. 

If you are homeless tonight or within the next few days, and you are under 18, social services may need to be notified who will assess if they have a duty to find you emergency accommodation. They will also make enquiries as to why you cannot return home and in many cases will try to mediate with you and your family.

You can self-refer to Supported Lodgings via our drop-in. We will complete a Gateway referral which adds you to the waiting list. If we have an empty space we will assess you right away- if we are full then your application will sit with the Gateway until a vacancy comes up. 

In order for us to make a referral we will need your National Insurance Number– we cannot access housing for you without it. If you think you have been issued one and cannot find it, click here.

Need more information?

Take a look at our FAQs for more details on living in Supported Housing.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.